7 Tips On Planning Your Wedding In Hurricane Season
Hurricane Harvey has shown no remorse as it’s swept over the state of Texas with catastrophic force. Torrential rains accompanied by high-speed winds have left the cities surrounding the Gulf Coast with life threatening floods, road closures & unfathomable devastation. To anyone experiencing the despair from this storm, know you are in our thoughts.
As your Austin wedding band, we know that Hurricane Harvey may have drastically altered plans for your wedding day. That’s why we want to provide any future bride & grooms some key information needed when planning a big day during hurricane season in high-risk areas.
1. Indoor Alternative- You’ve dreamt of that Texas outdoor wedding, picked your venue, hired your wedding band, & local vendors only to have the day arrive with high winds & rain. Be sure the venue you decide on has an alternative indoor space available for your ceremony & reception needs.
2. Double Check Your Contracts- Before you sign the dotted line make sure to read through all contracts thoroughly. Your wedding venue contracts can sometimes include a 'Natural Disaster Clause' which essentially means you will NOT get your money back in the unfortunate events of a storm.
3. Talk To Your Vendors- It is crucial that you have a conversation with your vendors including your wedding band to determine if rescheduling the date is an option. Also beneficial to talk with your bridal party on their availability for the new date.
4. Decision Making- After discussing with your wedding band & vendors the balls in your court to make the ultimate decision of riding the storm out or rescheduling the day.
5. Closest Shelter- Take note & be aware of evacuation centers near your venue. In the uncertainty of a natural disaster, it is vital that everyone in attendance feels & remains safe with a designated evacuation shelter near by.
6. Backup Generator- Backup generators are essential for any special event, but especially during high-risk weather conditions.
7. Hotel & Transportation- Blocking off a group of rooms at a nearby hotel is ideal for the convenience & safety of you & your guests. Most hotels will provide a shuttle service to & from the venue which will allow a secure trip to comfort & security.
Above all else, the safety of you, your guests & hired help is the most important element. If carrying through with your wedding plans puts you & your guests at risk, then use your best judgment & follow the rescheduling procedure.